The health message has excellent penetration. Few people are unaware of the benefits that come from adopting a healthy lifestyle – doing more physical activity and exercise, eating better, stopping smoking and drinking less alcohol.
But the recent Health Survey showed very clearly that whilst most people know about the importance of a healthy lifestyle, fewer than four in 10 of us are hitting the target of 150 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity per week.
Here are top five tips for sustaining your New Year’s Resolution:
- Find an activity you like doing and enjoy – walking, dancing, gardening.
- Start slowly, a few more steps every day. Every step is important.
- Have realistic expectations – a little more activity will not suddenly result in dramatic weight loss or a buff physique.
- Recruit some friends of family members to support and join you in the new habit.
- Reward yourself – A month of walking an additional 1,000 steps per day is surely worth that new CD / handbag etc (1,000 walking steps is about half a mile)
Enjoy New Year Health.
Dr. Anil Singhal, MD (Homeo)5 tips for New Year’s Health Resolution
by Dr. Anil Singhal, MD (Homeo) ( Author at Dr. Anil Singhal MD (Homeo) )
Posted on January 2nd, 2013 at 4:26 pm.
Find more from Dr. Anil Singhal's Blog on: Lifestyle